Wednesday, May 18

PAPERWORK AND TEARS

We have had a patient on our unit for the past week who has been slowly dying. Well I had her for the first time last night...
She passed away at 6:15 am today, on my shift so I dealt with the families sorrow and then the coldness of reality, paperwork! Could you sign here and here and I'm sorry but she was declined as an organ donor, could you sign here...
From that moment on until I left at almost 8 am I was running non-stop. I had other meds to give, blood sugars to check, soap charting to do...and could you sign here, are you taking her belongings with you, what funeral home are you using...HARSH but life.
I also had two patients that had strokes that affected their speech, one patient almost to the point of just yes and no questions and the other still adjusting to the diagnosis, so more tears of frustration...as he could see I was struggling to understand him.

And they want me to pick up this weekend!!

Nick and Dylan had their pictures taken together today, they were absolutely adorable!! They were both dressed in khaki's, dress shirt and ties. Nick complained about his hair and Dylan barely has any to complain about! Too cute.

Well I'm going on NO SLEEP and I have my daughter's last track meet of the season before the LCAA championship on Tuesday. The Onsted Middle School girls track team is still undefeated!! So bed is a few hours away yet...

1 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... that must be the hardest part of the job.

your job sounds tough... i admire you. i bet you're a great nurse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home