Thursday, March 1

WITNESSING TRUE LOVE

The last couple of weeks of working at the hospital have been trying and touching at the same time.

Last week I had a 85 year old man get teary-eyed on me talking about his special lady...he laughs when he sees I'm getting choked up and tells me not to cry...if you don't sir I won't!

Then I had two nights with a cerebral palsy patient with a mental capacity of 18 months (she's in her 30's) . How sad when she looks at you and you can see fear in her eyes, fear from her nurses, her step-dad... because we had to protect her and us by wearing gowns, mask and gloves. Think about it...an 18 month old baby would cry in fear seeing just someones eyes. All I could do is "coo" to her...telling her it's okay as I assessed her, suctioned her, changed her... but will it ever be okay? Heartbreaking.

Then my little lady (all of 74 pounds) that was having trouble breathing and it went on all night...several breathing treatments and still struggling for a breath. At one point while I sat with her on her bed I asked if she wanted me to call her daughter (I didn't know if she was scared or not) she said no, no I'll be fine...besides I have you here with me and that's all I need. "I'm here for you sweet lady."

Then last night...a man who has been married for 65 years! He was tearful and wanting to go home to her because he was to use to being by her side every night.
I asked his secret to his long marriage, he thought for a moment then replied..."We shared everything". He looks at me with tears in his eyes and said "simple, huh" of course I'm blinking back tears and could just nod and smile. I hope he went home to her today.

I don't work again until Sunday night...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gad, you kill me with these stories.

Bon

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Mike Ambs said...

How did I miss this post? It's sad - I think now was the worst time for me to read it. I'm unbelievably depressed at the moment...

Amanda just found out that her best friend, Crystal lost control of her car on the ice today and hit someone... and it turned out that someone was one of Crystals oldest friends. She lost her arm and only has half her lung. I can't even write this with out tearing up. It's so fucking messed up...

Ugh. What a night.

I love you. And tell Nick & Mandy I love them too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home